What is the Continuity Program?
Although you will not yet find estate planning continuity plans if you do an internet search, the concept of a continuity plan is beginning to be used by estate planning attorneys to describe a plan they offer that is designed to help clients maintain their estate plan in an “unbroken and consistent” manner and that arranges the parts of their estate in a logical way. It is a program designed to plan for the efficient transition of wealth to the next generation (or other beneficiaries) and to east the effect of the client’s ultimate exit (from this world) on the family and maximize the legacy passed on from the client’s lifetime of hard work.
The word “continuity” itself means:
• the unbroken and consistent existence or operation of something over a period of time;
• the quality of something that does not stop or change as time passes;
• the arrangement of the parts in a story, movie, etc., in a way that is logical.
The term “continuity planning” comes out of the business world and is defined as:
• the creation of a strategy through the recognition of threats and risks facing a company, with an eye to ensure that personnel and assets are protected and able to function in the event of a disaster;
• a design for transitions and exit strategies that maximizes the return received from years of hard work.
Why do I need the Continuity Program?
The Continuity Program is an exclusive benefit to our firm’s Estate Planning clients and is designed to help you to keep up with all of the changes that occur in everyday life. The update will not only keep your records current, but will also help you meet the obligations of your duties as trustee. To keep your estate plan updated and relevant, the Continuity Program will help you do the following:
- Keep your trust assets titled in the name of your trust;
- Update and change provisions of your trust as circumstances warrant;
- Keep your Personal Information and Schedule of Assets information current;
- Allow us to advise you on changes that may save your family time, money and hassle when you become incapacitated or pass away;
- Allow us to advise you on changes to your plan that you may want to make to protect your assets and your family in the event that you need long-term care;
- Keep your Advance Healthcare Directive, Durable Power of Attorney, and Authorization for Use and Disclosure of Protected Health Information (aka HIPAA) waiver documents “fresh”; and
- Stay informed of current changes in the law that might impact your life, your trust and your family.
Don’t make the mistake so many others make of thinking your estate planning is done for once and for all when we finish your current plan documents. Your current documents are great today, but without updating as changes occur in your life and in the law, they may fail to accomplish everything you want for your family. Time will take a toll on your plan just as it does on our bodies. Let us help you to keep it current and strong.
What are the benefits of the Continuity Program Membership?
By participating in our Continuity Program, you will continue to be a “retainer client” with our firm. This means that your file stays open and active at our firm so that we can respond quickly to your future needs. You will be entitled to:
–“client-only” programs offered during the year
–Special Reports and Legal Bulletins announcing and explaining important changes in the law
-customized Legacy Plan Packet, which includes all of your personal and complete financial information organized for easy reference by you and your family (in the event your family needs to step in to handle your financial affairs)
–updated and re-executed Advanced Healthcare Directives, Durable Power of Attorney, and HIPPA waiver every 3 years
–discounted rate on updates you want made on your documents throughout the year
–2 hours of free phone or office consultations with any of our attorneys regarding your estate or long-term care asset protection planning concerns
-free referrals to other professionals, such as CPA’s, mortgage consultants, etc.
-free notarizations of any documents you need notarized
–USB flash drive with PDFs of all your current estate and/or long-term care planning legal documents (wills, trusts, etc) as well as your customized Legacy Plan Packet documents
-digital copy of our customized Carney Elder Law Schedule of Digital Assets that you can complete with your digital account information to keep with your confidential records for your family to access your valuable digital “assets” when you are gone or become suddenly incapacitated
For more information on our Continuity Program Membership, please contact us today!